By the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery
A smooth, graceful neckline portrays a sense of refinement that serves to enhance a person’s overall appearance. Through neck contouring surgery, a cosmetic surgeon can help patients of any age achieve the naturally beautiful neckline they desire. Learn more about neck contouring surgery below.
What is Neck Contouring Surgery?
Neck contouring creates a firmer, smoother and more refined appearance to the neck and chin. Even without making any other changes to the face, improving a thick, wrinkled or sagging neck can dramatically improve a one’s appearance, helping a patient look years younger or even as though he or she has lost weight. Neck contouring can also help restore balance to facial features by providing a better defined jawline that frames the rest of the face.
Neck Contouring Options
Neck contouring isn’t defined by a surgical technique, but rather the patient’s aesthetic goals. A cosmetic surgeon will use a completely different surgical approach for a patient who wants to reshape a full chin versus a patient who wants to eliminate a sagging “turkey neck.” Neck contouring can be performed as a single procedure, or be combined with other facial cosmetic surgery procedures for more comprehensive improvements.
Do you feel that you have an excessively full or “double chin,” despite being at a healthy weight? Liposuction of the neck can achieve better defined, more graceful neckline by permanently
Because liposuction removes excess fat, but cannot significantly improve sagging skin, the typical neck liposuction patient will be younger, his his or her 20’s through early 50’s, as younger patients typically have good skin elasticity, which is necessary for the skin to contract smoothly and evenly after liposuction. Learn more about liposuction techniques.
For most patients, neck liposuction is a fairly quick procedure, and many times it can be performed using local anesthesia. Through 1 or 2 tiny incisions, concealed beneath the chin or behind the ears, a cosmetic surgeon insert a small liposuction cannula, removing excess fat and sculpting a natural contour to the chin and neck. Following the procedure, patients typically wear a special supportive chin strap for about 3 or 4 days, return to work within 1 week, and be ready to return to full activity after about 2 weeks. It is typical to experience some swelling and bruising after neck liposuction; this should resolve during the first 10 to 14 days after surgery.
Considerations & goals with neck liposuction:
- Improves the appearance of a “double chin” or fullness underneath the chin
- Refines the jawline to enhance the chin or bring balance to facial features
- Patients with good skin tone will typically see the best results
- Can be combined with chin augmentation or rhinoplasty to further enhance facial contours
- Results are permanent so long as a patient maintains a stable weight
Neck Lift Surgery
If you are bothered by sagging, loose skin on your neck, then a neck lift surgery procedure, may provide a solution. You may hear neck lift surgery referred to as cervicoplasty (to remove excess skin) or platysmaplasty (to tighten loose neck muscles). Cosmetic surgeons will perform one or both of these procedures to tighten loose neck muscles and remove excess, sagging skin, restoring a smoother, firmer, and better defined appearance to the neck.
A neck lift procedure is typically performed as an outpatient procedure under general anesthesia or intravenous sedation. Your cosmetic surgeon will make a small incision behind each ear, and depending on your needs may also make a third small incision underneath the the chin. Through these incisions, he or she will tighten the neck muscles and/or underlying tissues and remove excess, sagging skin to restore a smoother, firmer, and more youthful appearance to the neck.
Recovery time after a neck lift will depend on the individual, as well as the extent of surgery. Typically, patients return to daily activities, including a return to work, within 2 weeks after surgery. Expect your neck to feel tight for a few weeks, and know that bruising and swelling are normal. These effects should subside gradually, with visible bruising typically gone after the first week, and that “tight” feeling remaining for up to several months. Your cosmetic surgeon will provide you with detailed instructions for recovery and aftercare.
Considerations & goals with neck lift surgery:
- Reduces or eliminates a “turkey neck” by removing excess, sagging skin
- Smoothes out wrinkles and creases throughout the neck
- Improves the appearance of vertical neck bands
- Results are long-lasting and will age naturally with a patient
- Can be combined with a facelift for more comprehensive facial rejuvenation
Combining Neck Contouring & Facial Procedures
As the face, eyes and neck work together to create a person’s facial appearance, it is common to combine face and neck procedures to achieve a patient’s goals. Doing so helps to ensure a smooth, refined lines and naturally balanced appearance. Below are some of the common procedures that patients choose to accompany their neck contouring surgery:
- Facelift. It is rare that a cosmetic surgeon will perform a facelift without also incorporating some element of neck contouring. Combining a facelift and neck lift allows a cosmetic surgeon to address jowling, sagging cheeks, and lax neck tissues in a single procedure. Learn more about facelift surgery »
- Chin augmentation. A skilled, qualified cosmetic surgeon can insert a custom-fit chin implant during a neck liposuction procedure, typically using the same incisions, to refine the neckline and add definition to a weak or receding chin.
- Rhinoplasty. Balanced proportions are key to an attractive face. Reshaping the nose to better fit a patient’s face while also improving the jawline can dramatically enhance this sense of balance. Learn more about rhinoplasty »