NEW YORK, NY (Jan. 29, 2020)— The Aesthetic Society has released its 2020 predictions detailing what plastic surgery trends are expected in the coming year. With more than 2,600 board-certified members, The Aesthetic Society members are the most advanced aesthetic plastic surgeons. Insights include specific trends for surgical and non-invasive options, and a forecast that sees a new generation of patients entering the market in earnest.
“Our members use the most cutting-edge tools and techniques to improve outcomes and provide the safest care for our patients,” says Charles H. Thorne, MD, President of the Aesthetic Society. “2020 promises to be a landmark year for aesthetic plastic surgery with innovations in nonsurgical procedures, refinements in established surgical procedures and a new generation entering the market.”
Return of the Facelift
- Patients are realizing that injectable treatments enhance but do not replace surgical treatments for the aging face.
- The most effective, most natural, most long-lasting and overall most cost-effective treatment for facial aging remains a well performed cheek and necklift.
- The Daddy-Do-Over is the male counterpart to the Mommy Makeover and will rise in 2020.
- More men are embracing aesthetic procedures as a way to boost their confidence and improve their physical appearance.
- Men will seek combination therapies, such as liposuction for abdominal and chest contouring, paired with a series of magnetic muscle stimulation (MMS) treatments.
- High-definition abdominal liposculpting (liposuction and body sculpting with fat transfer) will likely continue to rise in popularity.
- Procedures for gynecomastia (male breast development) have been on the rise over the last decade and will continue to increase.
Non-invasive Tech Advances
- Expect a windfall of innovation among non-invasive and minimally invasive aesthetic treatments. With continued advancements in nonsurgical techniques, plastic surgeons are capable of improving patient outcomes.
- An expanding arsenal of non-invasive treatments and techniques allows aesthetic plastic surgeons to further individualize and optimize patient care.
- Baby Botox refers to the use of targeted micro injections of a neurotoxin to achieve a more natural, subtle look.
- Compared to standard-size injections, “baby botox” lowers the risk of your features appearing to be frozen or weaken muscles that can later lead to drooping.
- 2020 will see an increase of people who want to look their best, not unnatural, or “done”.
Gen Z Entering the Aesthetic Market
- Generation Z, people born in the late 1990s and early 2000s grew up as online natives and look to social media for beauty trends, comparing themselves to their online cohorts.
- More social channels may ban plastic surgery filter apps yet, Gen Z will continue to favor social media to find a plastic surgeon and research aesthetic procedures.
- Gen Z will seek out aesthetic procedures earlier in life as a preventative measure and in non-surgical ways.